- Ph.D. Marine Resource Assessment – University of South Florida, 2018
- M.S. Marine Science – Northeastern University, 2010
- B.S. Marine Science – Stony Brook University, 2008 (Magna cum laude)
Academic Honors & Awards
- Oceanography Camp For Girls Summer Fellow – University of South Florida, 2018
- Garrels Memorial Fellowship in Marine Science – University of South Florida, 2017
- Guy Harvey Scholarship – Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation/Florida Sea Grant, 2015
- Gulf Oceanographic Charitable Trust Fellowship, Honorable Mention – University of South Florida, 2014
- Marine Resource Assessment Graduate Fellowship – University of South Florida/National Marine Fisheries Service, 2012 – 2015
- Honors College Graduate – Stony Brook University, 2008
Past Research Experience
- Observer and researcher onboard commercial fishing vessel F/V Crosswinds IV (Panama City, FL) – Spawning Habitat and Early-Life Linkages to Fisheries (SHELF) – University of South Florida, July 11 – 13, 2017 (PIs: Drs. Ernst Peebles, Chris Stallings, and Steve Murawski)
- Research party onboard the R/V Weatherbird II – Camera Based Assessment Survey System (C-BASS) – University of South Florida, June 13 – 20, 2013 (PI: Dr. Steve Murawski)
- Lab Manager and Lead Research Assistant in Dr. Heather Leslie’s lab – Brown University, Dept. of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, April 2010 – June 2012
Teaching & Mentoring
- Science Mentor, Oceanography Camp for Girls – University of South Florida, May – June 2016, 2017, and 2018
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Fish Biology – University of South Florida, Aug 2017 – Dec 2017
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Principles of Ecology Lab – University of South Florida St. Petersburg, Sept – Dec 2015 and Sept – Dec 2016
- Peer Tutor, Student Success Center – University of South Florida St. Petersburg, Feb 2014 – Aug 2015
- Undergraduate Thesis Mentor and Fieldwork Supervisor – Caitlin Brisson (RI EPSCoR fellow), Brown University, June 2011 – May 2012
- Undergraduate Research Volunteer Supervisor – Brown University, trained and supervised seven students on laboratory and field work from Sept 2010 – June 2012
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, General Biology II – Northeastern University, Jan 2010 – May 2010
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Principles of Biology I and Experimental Design in Marine Ecology – Northeastern University, Sept 2009 – Dec 2009
- Marcy Cockrell, Kate Dubickas, Megan Hepner, Alex Ilich, and Matthew McCarthy. 2018. Embracing Advocacy in Science. Fisheries (Pagination in progress). doi:10.1002/fsh.10055.
- Shay O’Farrell, James N. Sanchirico, Iliana Chollett, Marcy Cockrell, Steven Murawski, Jordan T. Watson, Alan Haynie, Andy Strelcheck, and Larry Perruso. 2017. Improving detection of short-duration behaviour in fishing vessel tracks by feature engineering of training data. ICES Journal of Marine Science 74: 1428-1436. doi:10.1093/icesjms/fsw244.
- Marcy L. Cockrell, Joanna R. Bernhardt, and Heather M. Leslie. 2015. Recruitment, abundance, and predation on the blue mussel (Mytilus edulis) on northeastern estuarine rocky shores. Ecosphere 6: article 18. doi:10.1890/ES14-00176.1.
- Marcy L. Cockrell and Cascade J.B. Sorte. 2013. Predicting climate-induced changes in population dynamics of invasive species in a marine epibenthic community. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 440: 42-48. doi:10.1016/j.jembe.2012.11.008.
- Invited seminar: “Exploring Spatiotemporal Patterns, Productivity, and Resiliency of Commercial Reef Fishermen in the Gulf of Mexico”. University of Florida Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences Seminar Series. October 27, 2017.
- Marcy Cockrell, Steven Murawski, Shay O’Farrell, James Sanchirico, Larry Perruso, and Andrew Strelcheck. 2017. An Analysis of Factors Contributing to Success in a Commercial Fishing Fleet after Deepwater Horizon Closures. Annual Meeting of the American Fisheries Society. Tampa, FL. Oral.
- Marcy Cockrell, Steve Murawski, James Sanchirico, Shay O’Farrell, and Andy Strelcheck. 2016. Spatial and temporal dynamics of commercial reef-fish fisheries on the West Florida Shelf: Understanding drivers of fleet behavior and the implications for future management. AGU/ASLO Ocean Sciences Meeting, New Orleans, LA. Oral.
- Marcy Cockrell, Steven Murawski, Shay O’Farrell, James Sanchirico, and Andy Strelcheck. 2016. Quantifying the impacts of Deepwater Horizon on commercial reef-fish fisheries: Spatial patterns before, during, and after the spill. Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill and Ecosystem Science Conference, Tampa, FL. Poster.
- Marcy L. Cockrell, Steven A. Murawski, and Andrew Strelcheck. 2014. Changes in commercial fishing behavior as a result of the Deepwater Horizon blowout. Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill and Ecosystem Science Conference, Mobile, AL. Poster.
- Marcy L. Cockrell, Heather M. Leslie, and Joanna Bernhardt. 2012. Using the blue mussel (Mytilus edulis) to examine community dynamics in Northeastern rocky shores. Ecological Society of America, Portland, OR. Oral.
- Marcy L. Cockrell, Cascade J.B. Sorte, and Matthew Bracken. 2010. Stage-structured population modeling as a tool for predicting species’ responses to climate change. Benthic Ecology Meeting, Wilmington, NC. Oral.
- Marcy L. Cockrell and Cascade J.B. Sorte. 2009. Stage-structured population modeling as a tool for predicting responses of the invasive tunicate Botrylloides violaceus to climate change. Western Society of Naturalists, Monterey, CA. Oral.
Science Communication & Legislative Experience
- Co-Developer and Facilitator, Communication of Marine Sciences Workshop (Jan 27-28, 2018) – University of South Florida College of Marine Science, Dec 2017 – Jan 2018
- Blue Vision Summit and Healthy Oceans Hill Day Congressional Lobbying Trip (Washington, D.C.) – May 8-12, 2017
- Center for Integrated Modeling and Analysis of the Gulf Ecosystem (C-IMAGE), Science Communication Workshop – Oct 8-9, 2016
- USF Ocean Policy Class, Capitol Hill Oceans Week and Congressional Lobbying Trip (Washington, D.C.) – June 3-6, 2013
- Center for Integrated Modeling and Analysis of the Gulf Ecosystem (C-IMAGE), Science Communication and Storytelling Workshop – Jan 19-20, 2013
- Engaged Environmental Scholarship and Communication Seminar – Brown University, Center for Environmental Studies, Jan – May 2012
Professional Service & Leadership
- Volunteer Coordinator, First Annual Vembu Subramanian Memorial Golf Tournament– University of South Florida College of Marine Science, March 2018 – present
- Student Representative (Invited), Student-Faculty Rights and Responsibilities Ethics Committee – University of South Florida College of Marine Science, Sept 2017 – May 2018
- Ex-officio Member, USF Graduate Council – University of South Florida, May 2017 – April 2018
- Radio Interview on 88.5 WMNF: MidPoint with WMNF News Monday. Nov 20, 2017. “Taxes would skyrocket for grad student workers under House bill.” Audio available: http://www.wmnf.org/taxes-would-skyrocket-for-grad-student-workers-under-house-bill/
- Co-President, United Faculty Florida-Graduate Assistants United (UFF-GAU) – University of South Florida, April 2017 – April 2018
- Part-time Union Organizer, United Faculty Florida (UFF) – University of South Florida, Oct 2016 – May 2017
- Founding Member of the St. Petersburg Branch of UFF-GAU and St. Petersburg Campus Liaison – University of South Florida, Aug 2015 – May 2017
- Vice President, Marine Science Advisory Committee – University of South Florida College of Marine Science, Sept 2015 – May 2016
- Social Activities Coordinator Co-chair, Marine Science Advisory Committee – University of South Florida College of Marine Science, Sept 2013 – May 2015
- Coordinating Committee, College of Marine Science Graduate Student Symposium – University of South Florida College of Marine Science, Jan – March 2013
- USF College of Marine Science, Invited Panelist: “Communicating Science at Multiple Levels and Venues” – March 21, 2018
- American Fisheries Society Continuing Education Workshop Series: “Facilitation Training: Tips and Tools for Effective Stakeholder Engagement and Collaboration” – Aug 19-20, 2017
- United Faculty Florida, Membership Organizing Academy – Aug 2016
- Graduate Assistants United, Membership Organizing Workshop – May 2016
- USF Academy for Teaching and Learning Excellence, Teaching Pedagogy Workshop – Jan 7, 2016
- Consortium for Ocean Science Exploration and Engagement (COSEE) Presentation Boot Camp – Aug 18-19, 2014
- GIS Institute Short Course: Spatial Structures in the Social Sciences – Brown University, Geography Dept., Jan 2012
- Introduction to Geographic Information Systems for Environmental Applications – Brown University, Geology Dept., Sept – Dec 2011
- St. Petersburg Annual Science Festival Exhibitor – Oct 2012-2013, 2015-2017
- Girls Inc. of Pinellas County, Lab Exploration Day Volunteer – June 2017
- National Ocean Science Bowl, Spoonbill Bowl Volunteer – Feb 2013 and 2015
- Girl Scouts of America, Clearwater Camp Marine Lab Demonstration Volunteer – April 2014
- Bay Point Elementary School Engineering and Science Festival Exhibitor – Oct 2013
- National Ocean Science Bowl, National Championships – May 2008